Friday, August 15, 2008

Writing, Photography and Life

I’m a writing animal. Have written poetry, songs, short stories, novellas, screenplays, novels, everything except a play. That’s on the literary side. I’ve also written operator and repair technical manuals. Proposals for film museums. Now this blog.

After the work I have put in on the dozen screenplays, two novels, one memoir and countless other works, why do I continue to do something that hasn’t really paid yet? I love it!

I’m also a photographer, although you won’t find any of my work posted here. Started at the age of 10, went on to shoot for the high school yearbook and newspaper, shot my first film in high school. That’s film, not video. Later I volunteered as a cameraman at a public access TV station.

Along the way, teachers suggested that I get acting experience. I’ve been on the sets of independent and feature films, both here and in Europe. Sometimes as an observer, others as a background extra. It’s helped me gain perspective and respect for what an actor has to go through to do their job.

For a few years, I was the film commissioner in Dayton, Ohio. It was a great experience and gave me a good look at the political and social games involved in the film industry.

Now I write and shoot videos, work on my multi-volume novel and try to keep all my toys running. Then, there's all the farm work. Never a dull moment on the farm.

All I need now is an agent to promote my stuff.

No comments: