Saturday, August 9, 2008

Mandate for Change by Dwight D. Eisenhower

Some time back I mentioned that I would try and pick an 'author of the week'. It's not worked out as I planned. I usually read a book a week, sometimes two or three.

At this time I'm reading "Mandate for Change" by President Dwight D. Eisenhower. My copy is the Signet edition, which is the paperback version. Doubleday & Company, Inc. printed the hardcover version. Copyright 1963, this copy is a first edition, printed in 1965. This book covers the first four years of his presidency and the events leading up to his running for office.

This book should be required reading for all Americans who want to vote this year. It should be taught in all high schools. President Eisenhower reviews his political career, starting from after World War II.

He explains how he came to chose a political party, since he had been apolitical while serving in the military. His coverage of the important diplomatic, economic, scientific and political issues of the time still ring true today. We are still grappling with the problems of Korea, China, Russia, atomic power, the economy and worldwide warfare. At home, we can't seem to agree on anything and almost nothing is getting done by our government.

What strikes me about this book is President Eisenhower's commitment to not only America, but to the image it projects in the rest of the world. His concern about being strong, but compassionate in his dealings with other countries.

I'll get specific in later postings. At this point, all I will say is that he doesn't sound like any current Republican.

No comments: