Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Spring Fever

You can tell it's Spring and a full moon. Everyone is acting weird, some of it's off the charts.

I write posts about the influences in my life that led me to write. Pretty boring stuff. I could fill up a blog post each week about the different authors that I have read who influenced me.

The good ones and the bad ones. The problem is that I see more bad writing now than ever before. Most of it is in magazines, but there are some real stinkers out there in the book world, too. We won't even go into the 'fake memoirs' or hoax biographies file.

Wasted a good hour this morning on a scathing email to a friend. She continues to send me bogus emails, purported to have been written by a general or a celebrity or some such knowledgeable person. The basic rant, 'everything is perfect, except for those unbelievers out there'.

The email then broke down into the usual psycho-babble propaganda. Spurious statistics, allegations and outright lies.

Which leads me to the real problem.

Nobody wants to accept responsibility for anything they do these days.

It doesn't matter who it is, someone else is the problem.

Things going bad? Blame the media, the government, the stock market, 'those people', blame it on the foreigners. Point the finger at someone, but don't look into the mirror and go, "Hey, it's up to me."

That would take guts.

I really enjoy the 'anonymous' people who send in comments on blogs and other sites.

You can't sign your name to it, then it's not worth talking about.

I didn't see 'anonymous' sign the Declaration of Independence.

Guess they were sick at home that day.

No comments: